Payroll is responsible for the application of taxation and deductions that you see on your pay advice. Payroll staff will be available to answer deduction questions with regards to: Federal, State and Local taxation, and union.

Our Kronos Timekeeping System validates and approves employee timecards for Bi-weekly and Exempt Staff. The staff assists employees and managers in navigating through the Kronos system, as well as adds/removes and makes required changes to employee profiles. Questions regarding earnings codes, as well as leave accruals are some of the many questions staff will answer.

Katrina Perez
Payroll Manager
1300 Morris Park Ave
12th Floor, Suite 1212A

Louis Urias
Senior Payroll Specialist
1300 Morris Park Ave
12th Floor, Suite 1203B

Beatriz Paniagua Santana
Payroll Specialist
1300 Morris Park Ave
12th Floor, Suite 1203


Who can I call for W2 questions?
Please call 718-430-3048, the main Payroll Department number, and speak to any member of the payroll staff or email They will answer your inquiry and check if a W2 was sent to you as well as assist you in having a replacement W2 reissued. Please allow up to one week for reissuance.

Who can I talk to for general questions?
You can call our main number 718.430.3048 or email and a staff member will either answer your question or direct you to ensure your questions are answered by the appropriate department/person.

How do I access kronos timecard?
If you are a biweekly timestamp employee, or a semi-monthly exempt employee or post doc your timecard is accessed online by logging into Kronos through In the first box, Employee Resources, click on Kronos.

How do I access my Pay Stub information?
You may access your pay stub information by logging into In the second box, Employee Quick Links, click on view Paystub.

Who can I talk to about my Non-Resident Alien Taxes {NRA}?
The Payroll Sr. Specialist will assist with your non-resident alien tax questions. Please contact 718-430-2624.

Where can I find my Accrual Information?
The accrual information can be found in Kronos in the Accrual Tab in the column marked Accrual Available Balance

If I change my address in Self Service Banner, is there anything else that I need to do?
If you change tax jurisdictions, you must download or come into Payroll to fill out the IT-2104 State Tax Form and indicate whether or not you are no longer a NYC resident, or that City Taxes now need to be taken, indicating your filing status and exemptions; and also whether or not you are a Yonkers resident. 

Kronos FAQs