Student Grievance Reporting to State Agencies and Accreditors

Important Note

When submitting complaints to regulatory bodies, there are different avenues for students completing their education in New York State and those completing their education outside of New York State through distance education (e.g. online courses or programs). This page is for students who have already attempted to resolve their complaints by contacting Einstein internal offices (including school offices).

Filing a Complaint About a College or University - New York State Education Department

For all types of complaints concerning colleges and universities in New York State, the first course of action must be to try to resolve the complaint directly with the administration of the college or university involved.

Students from New York State

Einstein students who have complaints that have not otherwise been resolved through contact with Einstein internal offices (including school offices) may seek advisement from the appropriate office in the student's state of residence, listed below.

Should a complaint not be resolved through processes and protocols defined by Einstein or the student's state of residence, the email address for Einstein's institutional accreditor (Middle States Commission on Higher Education) is provided below.

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
1007 North Orange Street
4th Floor, MB #166
Wilmington, DE 19801
Telephone: 267.284.5000