SNAP / Food Insecurity

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines food insecurity as a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life. For more information on how food insecurity is defined, visit the USDA website.


College students may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP, previously known as "food stamps," is a U.S. government program that helps people with limited income purchase food. SNAP benefits are provided through an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Card that you can use like a debit card. It is the largest federal program aimed at combating hunger and food insecurity. Students who feel they may be experiencing food insecurity are encouraged to apply for snap benefits.

You can apply for SNAP online!

  • Go to ACCESS HRA. (If you have an ACCESS HRA account, log in. If you do not have an account, you will have to create one.)
  • Select SNAP–Apply. Complete the online application. You will be asked several questions about yourself and your household (see sample application to view questions). Some questions will require you to submit documents with your application to verify the information you provide (see SNAP Documentation Guide). You can upload your supporting documents using the ACCESS HRA mobile app.
NYC Food Bank
  • You can also apply by mail.
  • Call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 to have an application mailed to you.
  • If HRA needs additional information, HRA will contact you. If HRA has everything they need, HRA will make a decision on your case and send you a notice. Please remember to submit as many documents as you can using the ACCESS HRA Mobile app.

Food Bank

To utilize local food banks in the area please view the links below: