Dr. Edward Burns is the Executive Dean of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. In this capacity, he has responsibility for the support of clinical and basic science research, the College's Doctoral and Post-Doctoral programs, the clinical and scientific relationships with the College's Hospital Affiliates, the development of scientific discoveries into biomedical technology and the licensing of these technologies to pharmaceutical and biotechnology partners. He also oversees the College's policies relating to the responsible conduct of research and biomedical ethics. He is spearheading the College's strategic plan for diversity enhancement.
Dr. Burns is a graduate of Yeshiva University and received his M.D. degree from Einstein. Over a more than thirty year period he has been a faculty member of the College and is a Professor in the Departments of Medicine and Pathology. He served as Director of Clinical Hematology at Einstein Hospital and Vice-Chairman and Director of Laboratories at Einstein and Montefiore Hospitals. He has over 50 publications, has authored two textbooks and holds five U.S. patents for his own inventions.
Since joining the Einstein faculty Dr. Burns was awarded the Sam Rosen Award for Outstanding Clinical Teaching and the Harry Eagle award for excellence in basic science teaching. He has been awarded the Einstein Alumni Association's Lifetime Service Award. In 2015 he was awarded Einstein's Lifetime Achievement Award in Excellence of Teaching.
- Chair - Dean's Executive Committee
- Faculty Affairs
- Appointments and Promotions
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Human Subject Research Oversight
- Biomedical Ethics Support
- Academic Support
- Faculty and Chair Recruitment
- Panel on Unlawful Harassment
- Scientific Affairs
- Biotechnology Licensing
- Sue Golding Graduate Division of Biomedical Science
- Belfer Institute of Advanced Biomedical Sciences
- Animal Institute Support
- Laboratory Construction Oversight
- Faculty Space Issues
- Grant and Sponsored Research Review
- Research Computing
- Biomedical-Clinical Support
- Clinical Academic Liaison with Montefiore Medical Center
- Clinical Research Liaison with Jacobi Medical Center